More recently, many believed that grapes can be grown exclusively in the southern regions. It seemed an impossible dream to plant this plant in regions with a colder climate, including in the suburbs. However, it is thanks to such “dreamers” that today there are many varieties that can withstand freezing temperatures. They proved that severe winters are not a hindrance to the cultivation of these berries. Photos of the best grapes for Moscow region show that the plants grow well, and the berries grow juicy and with the necessary color. Plants are able to adapt to the warm sunny summer and frosty winter.
Many gardeners are interested in which grape varieties are best planted in the suburbs. And there are a lot of them today. The most popular varieties are described below.
If you do not know what kind of grape is better to plant in the suburbs, pay attention to the uncovered varieties. They withstand severe frosts (some of them are up to minus 30 degrees) due to the cooling resistance inherent in them by breeders. They do not need to cover for the winter and open in the spring.
A feature of such varieties is that in the first year the sapling must be covered. The young plant is not able to cope with the severe frost. Do not rely only on its characteristics.
The best grapes for Moscow region, which do not need to cover for the winter, are:
- Aleshenkin. Among gardeners you can hear about him the name Alesha or number 328. A variety of early ripening (110-118 days). Clusters have a conical shape, large. Their weight varies in the range of 0.7-2.5 kg. Large oval berries of amber color are covered with light patina. The weight of one berry is about 3-5 g. About 25-40% of berries do not have seeds. The berries are juicy, sweet, crunchy.
- Harmony. The bush is able to withstand temperatures down to minus 25 degrees. It takes about 135 days from blooming buds to full maturity of the berries. Clusters of conical shape of medium size. Loose or medium density. Berries are dark blue, blue, round.
- Valiant allows you to enjoy the harvest at the end of August. Frost-resistant grade (up to minus 46 degrees). Clusters of medium size. Small blue berries with large bones have a pleasant strawberry flavor.
- Agat Donskoy. Clusters of conical shape of large size, moderately dense. Their weight is in the range of 400-600 g. Large berries (up to 2.4 mm in diameter) weigh about 4-5 g. Their shape is round, the color is dark blue. Resistant grade frost minus 26 degrees.
- Laura (it is also called Flora). Ripens in 110-115 days. Bunches tight hold of shoots. This protects the berries from falling down even after full ripeness or large yields. Berries are very beautiful. They are amber in color with a touch of wax. The bush is not damaged at a temperature of minus 23 degrees.
- Super Extra differs in that it is capable of producing good yields even when grown in the shade. Ripening occurs by the end of the first decade of August (7-8). The vine forms very early. Each of them can collect up to 20 kg of berries. Fruits remain on the bush even after full ripening.
- Phenomenon (you can hear such names as Augustine or Pleven steady). One of the best options, which has a good taste, large beautiful berries and disease resistance. Clusters weigh about 700-800 g. Withstands cold to minus 24 degrees.
- Early TAA (i.e. Northern or Pineapple). It is frost-resistant (to minus 30 degrees). Clusters are small and medium. Round berries of medium size have a blue color with a purple bloom. Light pineapple flavor characteristic of juicy pulp.
- Marshal Foch. Round-shaped berries of small size (1.1 g). Dense cylindrical clusters of medium size have a weight of 100-120 g. Berries with thin skin and juicy pulp have a slight taste of fruit. Fruits can be removed from early September to October. The ripening period is 125 days. Frost resistance to minus 32 degrees.
- Amber. Frost minus 34 degrees. Medium-sized sweet berries gradually turn yellow. In addition, they have a nutmeg flavor.
The list can only get the best grapes for the region of the Nepal variety. But these will be enough to make your choice.
Next, we consider which grape varieties are best planted in the Moscow region, choosing from the dining group:
- Agadai ripens in 150 days. Differs in high yields. Large clusters have a conical shape. Oval berries of the big sizes differ in dense pulp. Medium frost resistance. The bush is prone to disease. But the harvest is well kept.
- Asma. The ripening period is 170 days. Clusters of medium size reach 300 g. Violet berries are quite large. In each of them is a pair of seeds.
- Late maturity Isabella. Medium sized clusters (their weight is up to 150 g). Small black fruit with a pleasant smell, reminiscent of strawberries. Resistant bush to fungal diseases.
- Cardinal different short growing season (120 days). Bulk clusters weigh up to half a kilogram. Big berries have a pleasant nutmeg flavor. Not resistant to diseases and frost.
- Queen of the vineyards It has a good yield. Round berries form clusters of medium length.
- Odessa early as you might guess from the name, has a short growing season. The mass of a bunch can reach 300 g. Berries with a pleasant nutmeg taste.
- Magaracha early with large clusters (up to half a kilo). Round dark blue fruit with a few seeds inside.
- Timur. Ripens quickly, in just 110 days. Large clusters weigh half a kilo. Fruits grow to 10 g. They have dense pulp, nutmeg taste. Frost resistance - up to minus 25 degrees.
- Beautiful girl. Good early variety with oval pink berries. Juicy pulp has a pleasant taste. Clusters grow to 400 g.
These are the best table grapes for the Moscow region. Their fruits are eaten most often in the original state, without various preparations.
To the list of the best grapes for the Moscow region, you can add varieties related to technical:
- Rkatsitelifrom which wine is obtained with excellent aroma and taste. The grade concerns late-ripening. Clusters of medium size. By weight reach 180 g.
- Furmint. Mid-season variety bred by Hungarian breeders. Small clusters weigh up to 120 g. So-called Tokyo wines are made from small berries.
- Traminer pink. This is a well-known Austrian variety for many years, which is one of the best for the production of wine so far. Medium early variety. Round berries are also medium sized. Juice in them has no color. Dense clusters do not grow to large sizes. Their weight does not exceed 100 g. Partially resistant to diseases.
- Riesling. This variety is bred on the banks of the Rhine in Germany. His clusters are small (up to 100 g), but dense. Peel on small berries thin. Non-resistant to diseases.
These varieties are perfect for making compotes or wine.
Before you decide which grape varieties are best for the Moscow region, you need to decide on their cultivation. Those who wish to decorate with the help of grapes their plots, gazebos or pergolas, can choose from decorative varieties. These include Saperavi North, Crystal, Platovsky. Plants of these varieties will delight the eye with its beauty.
Winegrowers have compiled a list of the best grapes for Moscow region, resistant to severe frosts:
- Juodupe. This is the earliest variety. Ripening occurs by the end of July. Its ripening period is 95-100 days. Clusters are small (up to 140 g), dense, have a conical shape. Rounded berries of dark purple color reach a weight of 3.2 g.
- Buffalo, which is characterized by high yield, excellent taste and attractive clusters of large sizes.
- Pineapple early. Loose clusters reach 250 g. The fruits are large (5 g). Sweet to taste, with a pineapple flavor. Fruits can be collected by the end of August.
- Rogachevsky. Universal variety, the growing season of which is 110 days. Beautiful clusters in the shape of a cylinder grow up to 300 g. Dark blue fruits weighing 5 g have a sweet taste and isabel flavor.
- K-878 or otherwise Gentle. Elegant clusters large (400 g). The berries are pink-purple. They have a nutmeg taste.
- Lucillewhich is characterized by dense clusters. They grow to 200 g. Pink fruits (about 3 g) taste sweet. The average crop variety, the berries of which ripen in late August. Medium-sized conical bunches.
- Ontario. Distinguished variety bisexual flowers, medium cylindrical clusters. Large berries have a white-greenish color, which, as it matures, acquires a golden hue.
Studying reviews of the best grapes for Moscow region, "left by amateur gardeners, you can make the following list:
- Kishmish radiant which is known for all the lack of pits. Differs in high productivity. Large clusters reach 1 kg. The fruits have a rich nutmeg taste. Requires careful maintenance. Able to withstand cold only to minus 15 degrees.
- Novocherkassk anniversary, which is characterized by a short growing season. Fruits of pink color form large clusters. Frost-resistant
- Beauty of the north, possessing a short growing season. Included in the group of table varieties, but has a tart taste.
- Kristina. A variety with a short growing season, sweet berries. Requires little maintenance.
- Tasonwith beautiful pink berries with white barrels. It has a nutmeg flavor. Clusters are big.
The best wine varieties
The best grapes for Moscow region, suitable for making wine:
- Isabelsuitable for making dessert wines,
- Aligotefrom which they prepare white wines and champagne,
- Muscatwhich is used to prepare wines with muscat flavor.
These technical varieties, which can confidently be called the best grapes for the Moscow region, are difficult to grow. But probably. All expended efforts will more than pay off a great harvest. And this will allow you to enjoy a pleasant tasty drink of its own making.
For open ground
Growing grapes is possible not only in the greenhouse. Some species are able to grow in the usual garden beds.
The best grapes for the Moscow region for open ground:
- Muscat summer with excellent taste. Short growing season. Resistance to frost is ensured by good vine ripening.
- Victoria (some people mistakenly call him Uehara). Treats table varieties with a short growing season. Frost resistance to minus 30 degrees. The clusters are large, weighing up to 800 g. The crimson-red berries are shaped like an egg. Fruits are sweet with a nutmeg flavor. Differs in high productivity.
- Nadezhda Aksayskaya. It is characterized by large clusters and berries. It tastes like Arkady berries. Differs in shorter term of maturing. Harvest can be collected from mid-August.
- Shunwhich is one of the best options. Resistant to winter cold. Berries are large (up to 6-7 g). Clusters are red, as they ripen turn into dark pink. Berries ripen by the end of August. The variety is resistant to diseases.
Tips for beginners
Having decided what are the best grapes for Moscow region, you can begin to grow them. But here, too, there are several key points that need to be taken into account.
The most important thing for a good harvest is to provide the plant with the right amount of water and nutrients. In Moscow, groundwater is close to the soil surface. Therefore, it is very rare to water the grapes. As for fertilizing, it is necessary to exclude nitrogen fertilizers. The fact is that nitrogen stimulates the rapid growth of the vine. She does not have time to ripen until the fall and the onset of the first frost. This leads to the freezing of the entire bush and lower yields. All other types of fertilizers are applied in accordance with the selected variety.
It is best to plant grapes on light sandy soil. The first spring rays of the sun easily heat it. And in the fall the soil cools, allowing the plant to prepare for cold weather.
If the selected best grape variety for the Moscow region is poor frost resistance, it is necessary to cover the bush from frost. This applies not only to the winter period, but also to spring frosts. At the time of cold weather, all shoots are removed from the mount and placed on the ground. If this is not done, the plant will definitely freeze. The base of the trunk is covered with a special garden film. But the usual methods are fine. For example, mulching with a thick layer of sawdust. Do not use fallen leaves. They can be carriers of various diseases. They are recommended to burn.
As can be seen from the article, the answer to the question of which grape varieties are best planted in the Moscow region is not so difficult to find. Winegrowers took care of creating a wide variety of varieties that are suitable for cultivation in the Moscow region (and other regions with a similar climate). Due to the difficult growing conditions of the plant resistant to fungal diseases. And thanks to this, the yield increases.
It is important to remember one more thing: even the best grape variety selected for the Moscow region will not be able to produce a good crop without proper attention and care. In addition to making nutrients, the bush requires regular pruning, treatment from diseases and pests, shelter for the winter period.
Climatic features of the region
In order to select the best grapes for the Moscow region, the climatic features of this region are taken into account. Until the middle of summer it is often quite hot here, and from the second half it starts to rain. The abundance of moisture in the period when the ripening of berries begins is extremely undesirable. In adverse conditions, the fruits begin to crack and rot. It is clear that the sooner the berries ripen, the better it will be. Therefore, preference is given to early varieties.
Even though the weather conditions in the Moscow region are far from the most favorable, there are a number of advantages to growing vineyards in this area. Among the main ones are:
- a large selection of suitable varieties with excellent qualities
- increased yield
- disease resistance
- pests show minimal activity
- in the process of caring for the bushes there is no difficulty.
The spring period is often protracted, and winter is distinguished by severity. Therefore, exclusively frost-resistant varieties of plants are planted. They can easily endure frosts in the spring.
For ripening grapes Tason, which is considered early, it takes about a hundred days. Large clusters ripen, weighing on average about 600 grams, and when creating favorable conditions, their mass is noted twice as much. From the first days of August, the ripened harvest is already gathered. Bushes are characterized by resistance to cold weather, painlessly withstand frost down to -23 degrees. In addition, plants are characterized by high resistance to dangerous diseases.
Grade Agat Donskoy
A popular mid-season variety is Agat Donskoy. It takes only 120 days for the berries to ripen. Its disadvantages are sour taste. In addition, the fruits in terms of transportation lose their original appearance. Among the advantages are the following:
- mass of the bunch reaches 600 grams,
- fruiting is noted in eighty percent of shoots
- the ability to withstand temperatures reaching -26 degrees
- it takes root quickly in a cool climate.
The following varieties are also popular:
- Super Extra (early). Ripe fruits appear already in the first days of August,
- Augustine (mid). Cathedral berries produce closer to fall. Vine ripening is noted before the first frosts. The shape of the berry is oval. The fruits are characterized by a rather sweet flavor,
- Summer nutmeg (early). The weight of each bunch reaches one kilogram. The berries are yellow in color and large in size.
- Kishmish Asian miracle (mid). Differs in frost resistance. Fruits are sweet, seedless.
Among the species, a characteristic feature of which is considered to be a quick ripening of the vine, the following are also distinguished:
- Moscow steady
- Nadezhda Aksayskaya,
- Northern Early.
In the harsh winter conditions are also grown varieties that belong to the group of technical:
In order to grow bushes greenhouses without additional heating, the following varieties will do:
- Queen of the vineyards,
- Beauty Don.