One of the most popular and favorite plants in modern gardeners - thuja. This evergreen tree of magnificent view, which will certainly become a real decoration of any garden. This plant belongs to the Cypress family. There are different types of trees and shrubs. In Russia, for example, thuja Smaragd is often found. Planting in the fall of this plant will require from you some knowledge that you will get from this article.
Tuya Smaragd: Description
This plant was brought to Europe in the 16th century. The French king was fascinated by the beauty of the thuja and demanded that all the sites in the royal park be planted exclusively with her. In Russia, they met her only in the 18th century, but she quickly got accustomed here.
Thuja is a fairly tall tree. Its small needles look like scales. Her cones are small, about 1 centimeter. The tree has a peculiar smell reminiscent of camphor.
The variety of colors and shades - this is what distinguishes Thuja western Smaragd (Smaragd). The height and appearance of this plant can be varied. It all depends on the growing conditions.
Choosing a place
The main positive quality of the thuja is that it is not too whimsical to the quality of the soil and the amount of moisture. Meanwhile, the plant is very light-loving. Comfortable place - a pledge that on your site grow healthy and beautiful thuja Smaragd. Planting in the fall is no exception. At this time of the year you also need to choose the sunniest part. If you plant a thuja in a shady place, it will grow sparse, which means it will not look so attractive.
Although this plant and unpretentious to the soil, but still worth planting it in a well-permeable and fertile soil. Sufficient water will also be a favorable factor. On too dry soil, thuja may turn yellow and crumble.
If you have purchased seedlings, then be sure to ask when to plant thuja and what its roots are, as some varieties have their own characteristics.
If the landing site is chosen correctly, then care of this evergreen tree is practically not required.
What you need to do to thuja caught on your site and grow? There are several general rules:
- First you need to prepare a place. For planting it is necessary to dig a hole in the ground. Its depth and width depend on how well the root system is developed in the seedling. Basically, its diameter is not more than one hundred centimeters.
- Sometimes thuja is planted in heavy or wet soil. In this case, the landing pit is filled with drainage. Its layer should be no more than fifteen centimeters. For this, claydite or broken bricks are most often used. But you can use another solid material.
- It is necessary to fill a hole with a mixture of earth, sand and peat. It is also desirable to add fertilizers to it, which will help the plant's root system to get stronger and root.
During landing, pay special attention to the root neck. It should be placed flush with the ground. The main thing is to act very carefully. The neck can neither be raised much above the ground nor deeply buried. If you plant a plant incorrectly, it will simply dry out and die.
This is essentially all the efforts that landing of Tui Smaragd will require from you. How to plant thuja, we learned. Now you need to take care of the seedling.
We care for a sapling
Saplings of this evergreen plant need additional feeding so that they fully take root in the soil and quickly pass the period of stress from planting.
For feeding of a thuja phosphate or potash fertilizers are used. But remember: in the spring, you need to take two to three weeks breaks.
Watering seedlings need every day, and once a week to sprinkle with a hose. Thanks to this procedure, dirt and dust will leave the plant surface. If the weather is very hot, then the procedure is repeated daily, morning and evening.
Thuja Smaragd Planting in the fall: features
Autumn landing of a thuja has the subtleties. In order to do this correctly, you need to follow a few rules.
Too late to plant can not be. The plant does not have time to get stronger and is unlikely to survive the winter cold.
What timeframes are appropriate for the Thuja Smaragd to settle down well on the site? Planting in the fall should ideally be done in September or at the very beginning of October, before permanent frosts begin. By the time this cold comes, the roots of seedlings should already have time to fully take root.
The ground at the thuja trunk should be covered with fallen leaves, needles or compost. Then the roots of the plants will be protected from frost.
When the snowfall begins, the thuja needles should be cleared of snow, as weak young branches can not withstand the severity and break.
If you listen to these tips, your plant will easily survive its first winter.
Reproduction thuya cuttings
Tuyu is very easy to propagate by cuttings. This task is possible even for beginner amateur gardeners.
The best time for cutting is autumn. In spring and summer, the cutting often dries out and does not have time to take root. This part of the article describes the main thing that needs to be done in order for you to grow a healthy thuja: planting and leaving in the fall. Smaragd western globular - the plant is not too whimsical. It remains only to again listen to some advice and a little patience.
- It is necessary to find the strongest side shoots of the plants and tear them off with a sharp movement. Try to keep the so-called “heel” (a piece of bark) on the tip of the branch.
- Be sure to remove the entire lower needles. After this, the cuttings are planted in pots. They are deepened by 2-3 centimeters in fresh soil. It is best to mix leaf soil, sand and peat in equal shares. The remaining foliage should not touch the ground.
- To root quickly rooted, it must be dipped before planting in a solution of the drug "Heteroauxin". After planting, the cuttings are covered with transparent containers (you can, for example, use banks). Pots with seedlings are placed in a greenhouse on a not sunny, but bright place. Cuttings need daily ventilation. If the moisture level is too high, the sprouts may rot. In such conditions, the stalk will be before the onset of summer.
- If new sprouts appear on the handle, it means your escape has caught on. However, no need to immediately transplant it to a permanent place. As soon as the first warm days come, you must begin to harden. The plant is left for several hours outside.
As you already understood, planting and reproduction of Tui Smaragd, further care of the plant will not require any significant efforts from you.
In the winter you need to cover the plants. The best thing for this purpose is suitable burlap, which will not interfere with the breath of the thuja. Remember: polymer, as well as synthetic material does not protect against frost. The fabric does not need to be too tight, this can interfere with the air circulation, which will cause the thuja to heal out during the thaw and further damage to it.
You can also use a special fertilizer that helps plants survive the winter cold. Just do not overdo it!
Care and cultivation
In order for a thuja to truly serve as an ornament, it must be properly and carefully maintained. As a fertilizer, special fertilizers are needed for coniferous trees. For young plants, the entire dosage must be diluted by half, in order to avoid damage to the young root system.
For tui can use molded pruning
Sprinkling plays an important role in the appearance of the plant. It allows the stomata of leaves to open better, thus improves gas exchange.
Nitrogen fertilizers are best to stop using since summer, as they promote rapid growth. In this case, the young shoots do not have time to get stronger to the cold, which will lead to their death.
Pruning should be done in early summer. You can delete no more than 1/3 escape. Pruning, which includes the removal of dry, damaged branches, is carried out regularly.
How to plant climbing plants in the garden, find out here.
And how to pick up a bush for a hedge, this article will tell.
Preparing for the winter
Adult thuja is a very practical and cold-resistant plant. However, in order for it to grow as such, it must be protected from an early age.
The first step in preparing for winter is the complete removal of all damaged branches. At the same time you need to be extremely careful and not to touch healthy shoots.
It is also desirable fertilizer tui any fertilizer that stimulates the growth of the root system. The area around the plant must be mulched, this will provide additional protection for young, underdeveloped roots.
In order to avoid burns that damage the thuja in early spring, you need to carefully cover it. Burns come from the fact that the needles, which still do not receive water from the roots, fall on the heating rays of the sun. When strong winds need to build supporting structures.
Cutting is the easiest way for thuya breeding. The cuttings are taken in spring, when the buds have not yet awakened.
The grafting process does not take much trouble:
For breeding Tui Smaragd using vegetative method
- To begin with, several branches about 12 centimeters long are cut.
- Next, they need to be shortened to 5 centimeters, cutting off at an angle of 45 degrees.
- The very basis of not much free from the bark, remove all foliage, without touching the very top.
- Immerse the finished cutting in a container with water, and after the first roots appear, transfer to the pot with the soil mixture.
- In order for the roots to be able to breathe, drainage holes are necessary in each pot, and the soil should not fill the pot to the very edge.
- Grown up plants are transplanted into a well prepared for this ground.
Diseases, pests and ways to combat them
Unfortunately, contrary to expectations of persistence, there are many diseases and pests that can cause irreparable damage to the plant.
When is it best to sow grass for lawn? The answer is here.
Here are some of them:
- Fungus. If you suddenly notice brown shoots on your thuja, you must immediately begin to act. Fungi-damaged shoots are immediately removed and burned so as not to infect neighboring plants. Fundazol is used for the treatment, and limestone is added to the root system for prophylaxis.
- Shatter protection is another dangerous problem for the plant. You can find it on small growths on the branches, unnatural and slightly similar to small bumps. If time does not interrupt the development of the false shield, it will eventually completely destroy the thuja. The best fighters against this scourge are Rogor and Karbaphos.
- Sudden yellowing of the needles can be caused by several factors. Sometimes the cause may be a fungus of the roots, and then the same Fundazol will come to the rescue. It can also be caused by root rotting due to an overabundance of moisture. Unfortunately, in this case it will be impossible to help.
- The motley moth, despite its small size, is also capable of destroying a tree. You can notice it by changing the color of the needles and the death of the tops. Preparations which contain pyrethroids will protect thuja and the nearest plants from this butterfly.
- The most common misfortune - tuevoy aphid. It causes great damage to the tree, causing the needles to fall. You can spot aphids at the bottom of the tree. You can destroy the pest with the help of karbofos.
To prevent the drugs from harming you along with the pests, be extremely careful, wear gloves, and if possible protect your respiratory tract.
Species of Tui Smaragd
There are several types of Tui Smaragd, each of which is absolutely unique and beautiful:
- Thuja Golden Smaragd has a golden shade of needles, soft and pleasant structure. It will become an irreplaceable decoration of the garden, which will bring light and heat, dilute dark tones.
- Thuja White Smaragd is absolutely identical in structure to normal, but her needles seem to be dusted with snow.
- Smaragd Variegata is amazing because, unlike the others, it is much more likely to reach a height of about 3 meters.
- Vitbont is the slowest growing species of Tui Smaragd. This is a treasure for those who are uncomfortable too often to cut, but I want the garden to always look beautiful.
- Tui Spotti Smaragd with its unusual structure creates a sense of volume, even with actually a small amount of needles and shoots.
Choose thuja to your taste and color, taking into account all its features and advantages.
Types of Tui Smaragd depicted in the photo:
Tuya Smaragd: landing
You can grow a tree from seeds, cuttings or seedlings. The most optimal third option. When buying a sapling, pay attention to its appearance; it is best if the plant is in a container with a closed root system, the earth must not be overdried, the needles should be fresh and have a bright green color. The best time to plant is spring and summer. It is undesirable to do this in the autumn, as the plant does not have time to get stronger by the winter season and, most likely, will freeze. Thuja is unpretentious, but for better growth and beautiful appearance, provide it with fertile soil with good drainage.
Do not forget that the Thuja Smaragd prefers sunny areas or places with light shading.
The size of a landing hole directly depends on a sapling. In the best way for the tree fit a mixture of leaf, sod land, humus in equal quantities and some sand for better air and moisture permeability. Pour a little ash and complex mineral fertilizer on the bottom of the pit, pour all the prepared mixture and let it stand (5-6 days). When planting a seedling from the earthy coma do not release, otherwise damage the roots. Dip at the same level as in the container, and the near-stem surface should be mulched. Just planted plants for the first time cover from the hot sunshine and water every week.
Tuya Smaragd: care
Growing a tree does not require much time. Caring for thuja is extremely simple, but you should follow some rules. Pay attention to the following points.
- Thuja requires regular watering, especially in hot and dry summers. The near-stem circle should always be wet and free from weeds. Watering is best done early in the morning or in the evening, after the needles of the sun no longer fall on the needles. The best option is the drip system, it will allow you to maintain an optimal moisture balance, delivering it to the roots of the plant.
- Loosening the soil is necessary, but do not overdo it. Thuja has a superficial root system. The depth of loosening should be minimal and not exceed 10 cm. Be sure to mulch the surface with peat and wood chips - this will protect the roots from overheating, as well as the rapid evaporation of moisture from the soil.
- Tui Smaragd requires annual fertilizing with fertilizers. Periodicity - three times per season: April, May and August. Use special complex fertilizers for coniferous plants. Experienced gardeners recommend reducing the dosage and concentration of drugs for young plants by half, so as not to burn the root system.
- The tree does not require special pruning, it will eventually acquire an even pyramidal crown. However, to maintain a neat appearance in time, remove damaged and dry shoots.
Description and characteristics of an evergreen plant
Thuja western Smaragd (description) is a monoecious evergreen plant having a dense and narrow pyramidal crown with a bright green color of needles. A tree is an ornamental plant, which means it has the most place in a natural or artificial landscape. The hedge from Tui Smaragd looks royally, and it depends on you to make it slim and uniform, or to allow each tree to grow in its own way, preserving its original state.
The characteristics and characteristics of the western Smaragd thuja will help you to get to know this amazing plant better:
- The height of an adult plant of Tui Smaragd usually varies in the range from 4 to 6 m, and the raw width is up to 2 meters.
- The average life expectancy is 110-130 years. If we talk about how fast the Thuja Smaragd grows, then on average, a tree grows no more than 20 cm in length, and 4-5 cm in width.
- Thuja western Smaragd is one of the most popular representatives of the cypress family.
- The tree has the shape of an oblong cone with a pronounced crown and thick coniferous coating. It is very flexible, thanks to which landscape designers like to give it different sculptural forms.
- Thuja Smaragd is an evergreen plant, which means it will remain so even in winter and after a hundred years.
- In spring, thuja blooms with small oblong brown cones that fall away from the onset of autumnal cold weather.
- Thuja feels great even in the conditions of Russian cold winters, because it has an enviable frost resistance.
- The tree grows on any Russian soil and requires minimal maintenance.
- The thuja grows not only in the conditions of a garden and a kitchen garden, but also within the city. Загрязненная окружающая среда никак не сказывает отрицательное воздействие на созревание этого дерева.
- Туя западная Смарагд активно выделяет фитонциды, особенно в период своего цветения, благодаря чему очищает воздух и насыщает его полезными веществами.
- The plant looks equally impressive in the form of a single planting, and in a hedge environment.
- Thuja Smaragd western often divided into 2 main subspecies: thuja with a green color and thuja with a golden color.
Now you know the description of the photo of the western Smaragd thuja, and you can easily distinguish it from other species.
Features proper planting
If you follow our advice and recommendations in detail, you will notice that self-planting and caring for Tua Smaragd, the photo of which is presented below, is very simple. The most important thing you should do before landing is:
- choose healthy, fresh seedlings,
- carefully select good cuttings,
- choose a place for thuja (it is desirable that it grows freely).
Preparing for landing
First of all, decide on how exactly you will plant the western Smaragd thief. There are 2 options here: either you purchase special seedlings in plant nurseries, or you plant a tree with cuttings. The first method is the easiest, but rather expensive, but you will save a lot of time. The second option will cost you much cheaper. To do this you will need two-year shoots of thuja. They must take root, after which they will be ready for planting.
As for ready-made seedlings, which are usually sold in small bags, they should be carefully inspected before purchasing.
If the needles of seedlings have a pale green look, then they should be put aside. Also note that the root system of the seedling must be fully developed and of medium size.
When choosing a place to plant a Tui, push off the following points:
- A place in the open sun is not the best place for Tui Smaragd. She can get burned due to a constant lack of moisture.
- A place in the shade is also unfavorable for the plant, because it can die.
- The best place for planting is moderate penumbra. Try to choose a plot that is protected from drafts and wind.
The process of planting trees
Now, when you have chosen a place to plant, good seedlings and cuttings, it's time to start planting. You will grow a beautiful and healthy long-lived tree if you steadily follow our advice:
- The best period for planting a tree is the end of May or the beginning of June. Planting trees in the fall is not recommended if the early frosts hit, then the seedlings may not settle down and die.
- We talked about that thuja gets accustomed in any soil. But in order for a tree to grow healthy and fluffy, the soil must be prepared with a drainage system. The ideal option for drainage under the touja is a drainage from a 15 cm layer of gravel or crushed brick.
- Dig a hole that is commensurate with the size of the root system of your seedling. The depth of one meter will be quite sufficient.
- Do not forget about the preparation of a special mixture. To do this, carefully mix the following "ingredients": turf soil, deciduous soil, sand and peat (or peat deposits).
- The growth of western Smaragd thuja can be accelerated with manure or compost waste. Do not forget also about mineral fertilizers.
- Dampen well with a pit filled with earth. Moisture is essential for young tree.
- In the prepared zone, plant a ready seedling or a created stalk together with a lump of earth, and which they grow.
- Pay attention to the fact that the root neck of the seedling should strictly be located at ground level.
If you want to plant a hedge, not a single plant, then make sure that the distance from one tree to another must be at least 50 cm, but not more than 1 m.
As you can see, landing Tui Smaragd is very simple. Now that you know how to properly plant thuja. You can grow a whole hedge.
Features care for evergreen
We talked about the fact that thuja requires minimal care. Even if you leave a tree to grow without your help, it will still grow and be green, but it will not look as good as it could have been, and the life span, more likely, will be reduced to 50-70 years.
HA healthy flowering plant will delight you for many years with careful care:
- Systematic watering. Thuja western Smaragd is very fond of moisture and does not tolerate soil drying. In summer, the thuja must be irrigated with water at least once a week, and in all other seasons it will be enough 1-2 times a month. The tree will thank you if you periodically spray it with water, thereby eliminating dusty deposits and various small insects.
- Care for soil and earth around the plant. Remove weeds, destroy insect nests. Firstly, it will support the aesthetics of your planting, and secondly, this is how you saturate the earth with oxygen, and therefore contribute to a more rapid development of the plant,
- Do not forget to periodically loosen the earth. This is very important for providing the root system with oxygen. Please note that you need to loosen shallowly and very carefully, because you remember that you planted it shallowly.
- It is important to mulch the soil once a year by adding peat and bark.
- Feed the plant with fertilizer 2 times per season.
- Periodically prune your tree. Careful sanitary pruning will help you get rid of dry shoots. Use only sharp pruners for careful pruning.
- Cover your trees standing in the sun from the heat with a thin veil.
Tui pests and diseases
Thuja, as an ornamental plant, quite often undergoes attacks of insects and certain diseases. Here are the most common ones:
- Fungal infection. It is easily distinguishable by brown shoots and yellow needles. Cut the affected shoots as soon as you notice them and burn them. And then sprinkle all the foundation with a foundation.
- Tuevaya aphid. This infection can destroy the whole tree. You can destroy the aphids and cure the tree with the help of karbofos.
- Dummy. This disease is also easily recognized by the presence on the needles of a growth similar to bumps. To eliminate infection, use the drugs Rogor and karbofos.
- Disease of the tree due to drying out of the soil or due to excessive watering. Both that, and another will promote fast rotting of soil, after which the tree inevitably perishes.
Perhaps these are all diseases of Tui Smaragd.
Photo of the western Smaragd thuja in landscape design
If you still doubt that this tree is what you need, then we offer you a selection of photos of Tui Smaragd in landscape design.
Thuja western Smaragd prefers sunny areas, although it tolerates moderate shading quite well. Under shade conditions, the plant is characterized by slower growth and weak crown formation. Tui Western Smaragd planting and care in the open ground have special characteristics. As the soil is better to choose light peat or clay sandy loam. PH values should be in the range of 4.5-6 units.
Important! When grown on heavy ground with closely located groundwater, it is necessary to form a drainage layer with a thickness of at least 15 cm.
Thuja Smaragd differs in good frost resistance. This quality makes the plant attractive for growing in conditions with strong frosts in winter.
Thuja Smaragd western
For Tui important competent irrigation mode. In dry periods, increase the frequency and abundance of watering. It is necessary to carefully care for the condition of the soil. Excessive long-lasting dampness can damage the root system.
You can maintain the optimal characteristics of the earth layer by mulching around the trunk with peat, sawdust or dead foliage.
The root system of Tui Smaragd in depth does not apply. Such a superficial arrangement of the roots imposes restrictions on the process of loosening. Do not cultivate the soil deeper than 10 cm from the surface.
The blooming period of Tui Smaragd begins in April and lasts until May. Kidney disclosure begins 10–12 days after the establishment of the average daily temperature at 10. Flower buds are placed in the leaf sinuses on the tips of the lateral shoots of the thuja.
Lay flower buds begin after the growth of shoots in September - October. Being a wind-pollinated plant, thuja produces a large amount of pollen. Pollination is possible at close proximity of neighboring flowers.
Decoration of any garden
The self-pollination of Tui Smaragd is complicated by the arrangement of male and female flowers on the same tree. Men are at the bottom, and women are at the top of the crown. Female flowers look like yellow-green buds, male ones are round, brownish-yellow.
To maintain the thuja during the flowering period, it can be treated with Epin's solution. Lack of flowering can be caused by alkalization of the soil layer. You can restore the acid-base balance by adding peat.
To prevent the appearance of pests on weakened trees, it is possible to treat a flowering plant with a fungicidal solution.
Suitable Thuja Neighbors
You can plant thuya Smaragd near any coniferous plant, for example, juniper, spruce and pine. Thuja grows well next to barberry and blister.
Planted next to the thuja can be almost any plant, whether it be flowers, shrub forms or trees. The choice of neighbors should be based on the need for a thuja in the level of illumination and features of the root system. Not suitable for planting close to the plant with the same surface root system. Such a neighborhood will lead to competition for water resources. You should also take into account the love of thuja to acidification of the soil, so it is better to plant a number of plants, preferring slightly acidic soil reaction.
An important aspect of caring for thuja is watering. In that case, if groundwater is located close to the surface, watering should be carried out no more than 1-2 times a month. If the occurrence of water at great depth, then watering should occur 1 time per week. More frequent soil irrigation is needed on hot and dry days.
Attention! Weeding and loosening the soil after irrigation contribute to easier transfer of high temperatures.
In addition, at noontime, the thuja crown should be covered with a non-woven material to protect it from scorching rays and to prevent the temperature from rising. It will help to survive the hot period of sprinkling. Crohn, thanks to such procedures, will grow more intensively and will have a more well-groomed appearance. The maximum effect can be achieved by adding a growth stimulator to the water for spraying.
In prophylactic measures to reduce the risk of disease, 3-4 times per season should be treated with fungicides.
For thuy need care
The introduction of complex organic fertilizers every spring contributes to the active growth and development of thuja. In the springtime, any complex fertilizer preparations (for example, Kemra-Universal in the proportion of 50-60 grams per 1 sq. Meter) are suitable for top dressing. To enhance growth, you can use nitroammofosku at the rate of 100 grams per adult plant. The protection of the root system in hot weather contributes to the formation of a mulched peat layer 5-8 cm thick on the soil around the tree.
After leaving hibernation, it is imperative to remove all diseased branches from the thuja. At intervals of 2-3 years it is necessary to carry out sanitary pruning, shortening shoots by 1/3. This measure stimulates more active growth and the formation of a lush crown.
At the end of August, it is necessary to abandon the application of nitrogen-containing fertilizers, thus, the thuja Smaragd will slow down growth and prepare for hibernation. With a sharp shears, treated with disinfectants, it is necessary to cut off the old shoots, avoiding thickening inside the crown. In addition, the need to cut yellowed twisted shoots.
Important! You should not get involved in cutting the branches, the disheveled appearance of over-shoots will remain for several years.
To strengthen the root system of the thuja for the winter, you can feed the plant with root formation stimulants, for example, with Kornevin. The drug should be diluted, according to the manufacturer's instructions, and bring under the root before the onset of frost.
An important stage in the fall is to maintain a constant soil moisture. Absolutely needed abundant watering before the onset of cold weather. Moist soil is much less susceptible to freezing. Watering in this mode is necessary since the leaves fall from the deciduous trees.
Thuja unpretentious wonder of nature.
For well-grown adult plants of thuja, there is no need for abundant watering. This measure is mandatory for young tui.
Young fragile plants need to be secured from the effects of winds. To do this, after watering, you can install a rod or column and tie the trunk of the tree with a rope, pre-tying the trunk with a cloth to avoid rubbing the string.
Mulching is a mandatory measure to preserve soil moisture. Peat, fallen leaves, pine bark - the best materials for mulch. The thickness of this layer should be 5-7 cm. With the onset of spring, mulch should be raked, allowing the soil to warm up faster.
Despite good frost resistance, young thujas need to be prepared for wintering. It is necessary to cover the sacking tree to prevent sunburn in early spring. Burlap allows you to "breathe" the tree, protecting it from frost.
In areas with cold winters, it is better to use non-woven material such as agrofibre or lutrasila. It is necessary to form a cone from the crown of the thuja, with the sharp end pointing upwards. Thus, the accumulation of snow and breakage of shoots will be prevented.
After hiding with sacking, you can wrap the plant several times with a rope to strengthen the cover from wind gusts.
Note! You can not strongly bandage thuyu. In the absence of an air gap, the plant can deform the shoots and freeze.
You can also build a frame around the thuja and pull nonwoven fabric on it, protecting it from strong winds and sunburn.
Summing up, we can say that having grown up western Smaragd thuja, it is possible to revive and decorate the garden plot with an original fence. The thuja which is not demanding special care well gets on in the neighborhood with many ornamental plants. However, it is necessary to follow certain rules of care and watering so that the thuja will delight with its appearance for many years.